Let's get started. We have one handout today. That's your lecture notes. There's some copies still outside for those who haven't picked one up. In general, what I do is, in the lecture notes, I leave out large amounts of material.

So, this will enable you to keep your hands busy while I'm lecturing and take down some notes and so on. So, don't assume that everything that I talk about is on here. Please follow along. OK, so as is my usual practice, let me start with a quick review of what we covered so far.

So what we did primarily was looked at this discipline that we call the lump matter discipline, which was very similar, very reminiscent of the point mass simplification in physics. And this discipline, this set of constraints we imposed on ourselves, allowed us to move from Maxwell's equations to a very, very simple form of algebraic equations.



Download Video : MP4 | RM

And specifically, the discipline took two forms. One is, we said that we will deal with elements for whom the rate of change of magnetic flux is zero outside of the elements, and for whom the rate of change of charge I want to charge inside the element was zero.

So, if I took any element, any element that I called a lump circuit element, like a resistor or a voltage source, and I put a black box around it, then what I'm saying is that the net charge inside that is going to be zero.

And this is not true in general. We will see examples where, if you choose some piece of an element for example, there might be charge buildup, but net inside the, if I put a box around the entire element, I am going to assume that the rate of change of charge is going to be zero.

So, what this did was it enabled us to create the lump circuit abstraction, where I could take elements, some element of the sort, this could be a resistor, a voltage source, or whatever, and I could now ascribe a voltage, some voltage across an element, and also some current, "i," that was going into the element.

And as I go forward, when I label the voltages and currents across and through elements, I'm going to be following a convention. OK, the convention is that I'm going to label, if I label V in the following manner, then I'm going to label "i" for that element as a current flowing into the positive terminal.


And More...watch the Video !

0 comments: